Pages

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Throw The Book At 'Em and They'll Throw One Back

I still have my favorite novels from my childhood.  They are:  All-of-A-Kind Family, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, Nantucket Summer, The Ghosts and Little Women.  I have force-fed all of these old favorites to my kids.  I've read them all aloud, partly because I love to read aloud and partly because that's the only way I can be sure they're sharing in my love for these books.  (They MUST share my love for these books.)

I have also loved making up for lost time by reading books to my kids that I missed growing up.  The Secret Garden, Misty of Chincoteague, Black Beauty and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe were all a pleasure to discover along with the girls.

Now, we're having a turn about.  Miss N. recently insisted I read When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.  I told her I would and then set it aside for a few months.  Yesterday, I finally picked it up and read the whole book.  It has a great protagonist, Miranda, who is already obsessed with A Wrinkle in Time when she begins receiving mysterious notes from the future.  It's a sweet story.  I cried - I always cry.  Maybe N. will keep this book in her library, even as an adult.

I still love reading kid lit and I'm pleased my kids want to push books on me now.  I won't get into who convinced whom to read Twilight.  That's another topic all together.


*I would have linked to When You Reach Me, but I haven't figured out how to copy and paste on the mac book yet.  I've been so busy with Peeps and whatnot.

1 comment:

Olivejenny said...

Happy Easter, indeed. :D