Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I get a peaceful, easy thinking

Do you know what I find so boring to read about? Exercise. Do you know the only thing I want to blog about these days? Exercise. Do you hate rhetorical questions? Exercise. It's the answer to everything.

I've been thinking a whole lot about working out. Thinking about working out is the easiest kind of thinking. It's so simple to think about what is on the plan for tomorrow or what I accomplished today or last week or last year. I can think about how noble and awesome I am for making my goals or I can chastise myself for not. So easy.

I know when I spend a lot of time focused on one thing, especially one easy thing, it's because I'm avoiding something else. Right now, I need to do some hard thinking, and doing, with regard to my next career move. I am supposed to (but don't) write fiction every week for my writers' group - getting my mind in that mode is way harder than thinking about exercise. If I focus on running, I don't have to think about politics or morality, finances or family. It's a non-threatening topic and requires no real analysis or mental effort.

Working out is physically difficult for many people and finding motivation is an even more common problem. But, everyone can think about exercise, whether they do it or not. Forget all your cares, people, forget struggling with big philosophical issues - just think about exercise. Don't talk about it, though. It bores the shit out of everyone around you.

1 comment:

The Mike said...

I love reading you. I want more.